domingo, 19 de mayo de 2013

A SPANISH IMMIGRANT IN AMERICA




When I was in America it seemed to me to be in Brazil, people… landscape…
I heard that the movement, Fwd.us is collecting, personal experiences about migration. I *(1)could not I nor can resist to the temptation of congratulating the idea, and taking part…
I am very grateful to the Brazilian people. They opened their arms and embrace us like one more member of the family. In memory of all the good I received of that blessed land and if it can help to the cause…
I have felt and written the text directly in “my English”. I got in touch with the English language when I was nine years old, thanks to Wilson’s family, there, in Parada Inglesa, Sao Paulo.  I will try to do the same in Spanish… Portuguese… If I have time and the trolls allow it.

* Suspicious Mind
Elvis Presley

This/ is/ not/ a/ trick/
I/ was/ born/ out/
I´m/ going/ to/ tell /you/ 
A/ piece/ of/ my/ life/

Why /I / want/ to/ say/
What/ does/ mean/ to/ me/
When/ I/ finished/ you/ sure/
Will/ understand/ it/

I/ was/ emigrant /
In/ the/ great/ Brazil/
And/ I/ built/ there/ all/ my/ dreams/
In/ a/ wonderful/ land/

So/ if /somebody/ you/ know/
Show/ what/ it/ supposes/
Would/ say/ that/ the/ things/ 
I/ say/ is/ just/ the/ truth/

Here/ we/ are/ here/
In/ Spain/ again/
Half/ heart/ feels/ Brazilian/
I’m/ crying/

What/ I/ have/ learned/ there/
Is/ impossible/ to/ forget/
A/ beautiful/ mixture/
Of/ thoughts/ and/ ways/

Oh/ their/ solidarity/
Altruism/ and/ real/ love/
Their/ wishes/ of/ knowledge/ 
For/ ever/                      (Bis)
When/ far/ you/ know/
I’ll/ never/ betray/ you/
I’m/ crying/

There/ I /saw/ a/ plural/ sun/
Shining/ to/ all/
Without/ exception/ of/ colour/
 And/ races/

An/ emigrant/
Learn/ that/ working/ hard/
She/ would/ reach/ the/ dream/ 
she/ wants/ to /

These / experiences/
Are/ the/ best/ for/ me/
I/ was/ in/ contact/
With/ collective/ consciousness/

Schools/ teachers/ and/ friends/
Gave/ me/ a/ bit/ of/ their/ science/
Culture/ thoughts/ of/ their/ far/ away/ lands/

Do/ not/ forget/ that/
We/ were/ emigrants/
Looking/ for/ a/ better/ life/ 
And/ chance/…

(Second time)

First/ people/ and/ language/
Landscape/ perfumes/
Sounds/ history/ religion/ 
Flag/ and/ hymns/

It/ was/ so/ grateful/
All/ together/ there/
After/ a/ long/ time/ 
Being/ separated/

We/ lived/ in/ Sao Paulo/ together/
And/ there/ I / met/
Irish/ English/ American/
Italian/ and/ German/ families/

They/ help/ and/ guide/ me/
In/ this/ new/ life/
They/ show/ me/ another/ way/ of/ been/

Portuguese/ English/
German / Italian/
Their/ believes/
Aparecida/ Maggy/ Phiro/ John/…

My/ childhood/ blow / free/ and/ bright/
With/ this/ kind/ of/ surround/
These/ people/ made/ it/ possible/
I’m/ proud/ of/ being/ a/ Brazilian/ emigrant

(Bis)

Thanks/ to/ that/ country/
Mixture/ of/ races/
I’m/ able/ to/ catch/ a/ view/ 
Of/ the/ whole/ world/

Love/ conflicts/
Wishes/ feelings/ fears/
The/ soul/ of/ their/ principal/ worries/ 
And/ desires.../

I…want…you…know…that…

Languages/ are/ open/ doors/
Business/ money/ and/ love/
The/ more/ you/ know/
The/ better/ you/ do/ baby/

I…want…you…know…that…

A/ young/ bilingual/ brain/
Is/ better/ prepared/
To/ be/ empathic/ 
And/ maintain/

I…want…you…know…that…

Useful / relationship/
In/ a/ world/ 
Globalize/
Creativity/ grows/ baby/

I…want…you…know…that…

New/ actions/ new/ conceptions/
Exterior/ solutions/
Laces/ between/
Foreign/ nations/

I…want…you…know…that…

Europe/ is/ kicking/ alliances/
Spoiling/ money/ time/ and/ brains/
They/ are/ becoming/ old/ fashioned/

I…want…you…know…that…

As/ fashioned/ as/ their/ acts/
Populations/ is/ getting/ old/
If/ there/ is/ no/ new/ life/ no/ future/

I…want…you…know…that…

New/ life/ means/ new/ ideas/
New/ ideas/ makes/ money/…
* “Money makes the world go around…”... ... ...

* Cabaret
Liza Minnelli

*(1) All right! fwd.us

María Evangelina Cobo Zaballa
Castro-Urdiales   (Cantabria)